Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Sad Case of John Thompson (Hart) Vandergrift

I posted recently about Samuel Vandergrift.  He was the one that turned my ninth great grandmother into my tenth as well (Discovering my 10th Great Grandparents are also my 11th)

I always wonder about their deaths.  Samuel's wife Nancy (Robb) was eight years younger but she still lived almost thirty years after he passed away.  I have wondered what happened to him.

I think I may have found that answer yesterday.

First, let's take a look at my ancestry chart.  Charles Henry Whelan was my grandfather.


Samuel was my grandfather's great great grandfather.

Found out yesterday that Samuel's son Thompson has been murdered in 1861.

From the Richmond Dispatch 03 May 1861:


and from the New Orlean's Times-Picayune 18 July 1861:



 and, last but not least, from The Ebensburg Alleghanian 08 August 1861:


As of this time, I do believe that John Thompson (possibility that he also had the middle name Hart) was Samuel's only son.  I would have to imagine his death was so absolutely devastating.  Samuel died a little more than a year and a half later.

No comments:

Post a Comment