Friday, January 30, 2015

Finding Our Jacob Vandergrift

This blog is a great way for me to collect my thoughts.  So easy to meander off on rabbit trails and no sense reinventing the wheel when I meander back.  It's also a way for me to document disproving a line which is what I am doing today.  It's easy to document what you find on Ancestry but not what you find which disproves a line.  Okay, are you confused yet?

Today, I am taking a look at the Jacobs.  I have a number of Jacob Vandergrifts in my family line.  I added this line some years ago and I know I borrowed heavily from sombody's family tree.  I was a 'newer' genealogist.   I no longer trust those trees so I'm anxious to see how correct this line truly is.






Right now I am looking at Samuel's grandfather Jacob who was born in 1730.

While researching this Jacob, I noticed that a number of family trees have this Jacob listed as Samuel's grandfather:
 

Jacob Vandergrift's Memorial at FindAGrave


Notice that there are two wives listed for Jacob - Catherine Hufte and Sarah Ann Titus.

Where this gets confusing is that we know our Jacob lived in the same area and did have a wife named Sarah.  Sarah's last name was Britton (or Brittain).  Taken from her father's will abstract:


If you notice, the children listed in the FindAGrave's Jacob Vandergrift record (taken from his will abstract) do not match up with our Jacob and Sarah Vandergrift.  They had Benjamin, Sarah, Rebecca and Jacob.  Also, Jacob is not mentioned in the will because he passed away before his father-in-law.

Here is what I believe to be the correct grave:

Our Jacob Vandergrift's Memorial at FindAGrave 


Both Jacob's passed away in Bensalom Township and both married Sarah's.  Easy to see why people are confused.  Perhaps, on this journey, I'll figure out how the two Jacob's are related.  Cousins perhaps?

   



No comments:

Post a Comment